Monthly Archives: August 2017

New home cards

My mum asked for two new home cards. One is for old friends of hers, one for new neighbours of known ages. Hopefully you’ll be able to guess which is which.

For this first card, I chose papers from my current favourite pad, a tropical collection which I got from The Works for a whole £1. I wanted classic colours, but with a hint of a modern pattern. I had an antique bronze coloured key charm in my stash, and thought it would be perfect for a new home idea. 

Personally, I tend to prefer making square cards, so this is square, but it would look lovely on a rectangular base too.

I cut my less bold paper to 7mm smaller than my card blank, and layered it onto kraft card (it went who the colours) 3mm bigger, thus leaving a 1.5mm border all around.

The second paper was cut to a square measuring 90x90mm, and layered onto a square of kraft card, allowing a 1.5mm border all around. 

I tied a piece of hemp thread through the key, and used double sided tape to afix it to the back of the smaller square. Then, I attached the small square centrally on the card from, and attached the whole front to the card blank.

 The bow was on and off about 10 times before I decided I liked it, still not 100% convinced, though. 

Finally, I stamped the sentiment directly onto the card. I used a Hunkydory For the Love if Stamps sentiment set, and a black ink.

This second card grew from me finding the image of the gentleman having his diy disaster on the Hunkydory USB 2 which I bought on a whim. He is from the Oldies collection. I thought it would be fun to create a card with another disaster on.

 I was so proud when I remembered how His Lordship had taught me to print, set out off when I went to bed as it takes ages. I broke the printer! HL has managed to do a (very) temporary fix and despite the ink running out as well, it printed! Unfortunately, we’re now in the market for a new printer.

I chose papers which reminded me of 1970s wallpapers and what we’d probably see now as bad taste, likely in a house which needs a bit of TLC and diy. The papers are from my Tonic Studios Simply Patterns pad. I chose a blue base because the topper had printed mainly blue and pink, so I edged it with a blue ink and carried on the theme.

To give the idea of plaster, I used kraft card for my matting and layering. I cut the patterned papers so they each covered half of the card. I stuck the bottom paper down first.

In line with the diy disaster theme, I wanted the card to look like a strip of wallpaper had come off. I carefully ripped a strip 20mm in from the left of the second paper. I stuck the larger piece in line with the bottom patterned paper, then rolled the top of the strip down and glued the strip back in place, the roll showing the ‘plaster’ beneath.

To cover the join in the papers, I used a piece of twine to suggest a dado rail, attaching it behind the card front.

My topper was also matted and layered on kraft card. I wanted to keep the diy theme when I attached it, so I used a brad in each corner to hold it in place. I used a sharpie to draw lines to resemble screws.

Finally, I stamped a ‘new home’ sentiment onto the ‘plaster’, and attached the card front to the card base.